Labour Day 2012 marks our inaugural feature of Meatless Monday. Here you will find recipes and ideas for making your Monday meal meatless and nutritious. Drum roll please…or should I say dumbek tremolo…
Middle Eastern Grilled Cheese
This one is quick, easy and light. All you will need is:
- whole grain bread
- halloumi cheese (This cheese is a little salty and mild in strength but it’s no mozzarella. It will keep its shape even when cooked.)
- olive oil
- za’atar seasoning (a mixture of various herbs with sesame seeds. Thyme is a popular ingredient in the mix.)
- Mix olive oil with za’atar to form a spreadable paste. Try 1 teaspoon (5 mL) of each to start and adjust up if you wish to have more. Spread on bread.
- Slice halloumi cheese and also place on bread.
- Bake in a preheated 300 Farenheit oven for about 25 minutes.
You should be able to find halloumi cheese and za’atar in any Middle Eastern grocery store or supermarket that carries international ingredients.
If you try this recipe, I’d love to hear what you think.