Now that it’s back to school and time is limited, making a meatless Monday meal can be a daunting task, especially for the uninitiated. Here is a Mexican-inspired lasagne recipe that is quick and easy to prepare.
You will need:
- tortilla rounds
- can of refried beans
- jar of salsa
- sour cream (either organic or vegan)
- cheese (either organic or vegan)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1 green onion
- 1/2 tsp.ground cumin
- bunch of fresh cilantro
- lime juice (about 1 TBSP.)
Simply layer the ingredients in the following order:
- refried beans
Make at least 3 layers and continue until all ingredients are used up. Bake in a preheated 350 Farenheit oven for about 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbling. Let cool. Serve with a side of guacamole and dollop of sour cream.
Mash avocado, dice tomato and chop cilantro and green onion; add lime juice. Mix together with cumin and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Vegan cheese is usually soy based and a good one to try that is tasty when baked and melts like the real thing is Daiya. If using dairy cheese use an organic brand, preferably goat’s milk cheese which is more digestible. To keep flavour and cut down on fat use a sharp cheddar; a little goes a long way.
- Again vegan sour cream is often soy based. If you don’t want to buy a whole container of sour cream to make this recipe then you can substitute with plain yogurt. Simply place yogurt in a coffee filter or cheesecloth and strain out the whey (i.e. water) content. This should take about an hour. A goat’s milk yogurt makes for an equivalent taste stand-in for sour cream.