Apparently men like to grill and play sports as is evidenced by all the bbq implements and sports-related items marketed to dads at Fathers’ Day. Following this theme Meatless Monday this week will feature men and grill.
- Brendan Brazier – This creator of Vega (plant-based nutrition products) is an endurance athlete and former professional Ironman Triathlete.
- Mike Zigomanis – A professional hockey player who has played for the Toronto Maple Leafs and Pittsburgh Penguins.
- George Laraque – This Haitian-Canadian professional hockey player has played for the Montreal Canadiens and Pittsburgh Penguins. He also competed on Battle of the Blades, a Canadian t.v. program where hockey players were paired with figure skaters and competed with each other to earn money for a chosen charity.
- Mac Danzig – An MMA (mixed martial arts) competitor, UFC fighter and winner of Ultimate Fighter 6.
- Joe Namath – A NFL i.e. National Football League star in his heyday, celebrity quarterback and Super Bowl champ.
- Prince Fielder – A professional American baseball player with the Detroit Tigers.
- Hank Aaron (formerly of the MLB i.e. Major League Baseball) and Carmelo Anthony (currently of the NBA i.e. National Basketball Association) are also rumoured to be vegetarian.
For more see www.greatveganathletes.com
Meat-Free Grilling Tips
- Barbecuing over glowing embers of fossil fuel i.e. coal can produce unappetizing carcinogens. For healthy grilling use a cast iron grill pan to simulate grill marks and liquid smoke for that grilled flavour.
- Marinate your tofu well. It will give flavour to this bland bean curd.
- Vegetables great for grilling are sweet pepper, portobello mushroom and zucchini.
- Halloumi cheese holds together well with heat. Grill slices and use as sandwich filling.