1 pulse 2 pulse 3 pulse 4
I love lentils I want more!
From red to yellow to brown, and French and beluga (black) too
Lentils have many health benefits especially for you.
Such is my ode to these lovely legumes. I have been on a lentil craze as of late, buying and cooking an assortment of these pulses*.
*”The edible seeds of various crops…of the legume family…”
“Pulse.” Merriam-Webster.com. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 16 Nov. 2013. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pulse>.
Lentils are a versatile staple of a healthy diet. They can be added to or featured in soups, stews, salads and veggie burgers. Their health benefits include (but are not limited to):
- high in fibre and protein
- low in fat, calories and sodium
- easy to prepare
- economical to buy
- a good source of folate, manganese, iron and phosphorous
Read more about the health benefits of lentils.
Match the country with its lentil containing dish. (Scroll to the end of this post for the answers.)
d) Misr Wot
- If using canned (a BPA-free can of course!) make sure to rinse the lentils well before using. They are usually doused in sodium.
- Lentils cook fairly easily and quickly. No need to soak the dry version for several hours as one does with other beans.
- Cumin and curry are spices that go well with lentils.
- Lentils get on well with carrots and tomatoes too. Make a soup, stew, veggie burger or lentil sloppy joes using this combo.
~Check out our previously published recipe for lentil burgers in a Meatless Monday post called Do Vegetarians Tailgate.
The following are pictures of my recent lentil patty making session. These patties are vegan, the crust homemade and the recipe from The Caribbean Vegan.
Patties are a savoury hand pie; the Caribbean version is oft associated with Jamaica.
These particular patties are flavoured with curry and finished with a nice combo of vegan worcestershire sauce, coconut aminos and tomato paste. The usual suspects, onion and garlic, make an obligatory appearance along with some peppers (both the sweet and hot kind).
1 – d
2 – c
3 – a
4 – b