This week’s Meatless Monday is a recipe for a Middle Eastern inspired salad. It can be eaten hot or cold and is quick and easy to prepare.
Ingredients for salad
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 ½ cups grape tomatoes
- half red pepper
- 1 shallot
- ¼ cup bulgur wheat plus ½ cup water
- 8 small falafel balls, store-bought or homemade
- grapeseed oil and salt for roasting
- Wash then chop the vegetables into bite-size chunks. Toss them in some olive oil and salt. Roast in a 350°F oven for approximately 30 minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, boil the water then add the bulgur wheat. Turn temperature down to medium-low and cook 10 minutes. You should be left with a soft wheat mush and no water run-off.
- Heat falafel or make from scratch. See recipe.
- Let vegetables and falafel cool then mix together in a bowl.
Ingredients for dressing
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon of sumac (a dried lemon-scented spice made from a berry; popular in Middle Eastern dishes)
- splash of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. If the mixture is too thick add a little bit more water.
- Pour on prepared vegetables and falafel and mix to coat.
This dish should take no longer than an hour to prepare. Adjust seasonings to your own taste and double the recipe if you want a huge batch.
This meal contains a full complement of vegetarian protein, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats and the ingredients provide a wide array of nutrients needed daily by the body.