Lent has come to a close and the Passover Seder has begun which means lots of goodies to eat. Pigging out during the holidays is as much a tradition as the food so feel free to indulge and follow these tips to help mitigate the bloating during these holy-days:
- Add a little bit of apple cider vinegar to your drinking water to help stimulate the production of hydrochloric acid (needed for digestion).
- Supplement with digestive enzyme tablets.
- Eat a salad full of raw vegetables to obtain digestive enzymes naturally.
- Ensure you have a healthy dose of probiotics (i.e. through yoghurt, kefir, supplements) in your diet to encourage healthy intestinal flora.
- Eat when calm. Stress inhibits digestion.
- Take the time to chew your food slowly; it helps digestive enzymes do their work more effectively.
- Avoid drinking water with meals; it dilutes the digestive enzymes which can lead to indigestion and bloating.
- Eat small meals throughout the day instead of pigging out all at once. For the ‘big meal’ keep portions small so that you can enjoy a bit of everything.
- Wait 20 minutes before going back for seconds (assuming there will be food left in 20 minutes time) to make sure your brain has time to give you the message that you are full.