Happy Meatless Monday on this hot and steamy Labour Day.
Held the first Monday in September, Labour Day is an annual holiday in Canada and the States. It recognizes the accomplishments of workers and was borne of the labour union movement. Many businesses are closed, some cities hold parades and there are often BBQ/summer parties as people enjoy the last long weekend of summer.
In Canada, it is also a day that rival football teams play each other in the Labour Day classic. Check out some BBQ tips on our previous posts Meatless Monday – Man Meets Grill and Meatless Monday – A Labour of Love
And for a quick-to-prepare and refreshing summer treat that contains minimal ingredients:
Weal Food‘s very own KIWI COOLDOWN
First thing in the morning, combine the following in a blender:
- 4 kiwifruit (skins removed of course!)
- 1 cup coconut milk (full fat OR half low-fat and half full-fat. You’ll need fat to emulsify the mixture.)
- 2-4 Tablespoons of honey or maple syrup (If you like tart and are watching your sugar intake, you can get away with 2 Tablespoons. Three is ideal and you can always top with more sweetener or jam afterwards.)
- a splash of vanilla (Tahitian vanilla works best in this application.)
- a squirt of lime juice and some lime zest (The lime heightens the kiwi tartness and adds a refreshing element to the taste. The addition of zest heightens the lime flavour.)
- pinch of salt (Not totally necessary but it helps balance out the flavours. Salt can be your friend!)
Pour into popsicle moulds and/or ice-cube trays and place in freezer. At the end of the day and après BBQ dinner, remove from freezer and enjoy.