Meatless Monday – a recipe
This recipe is my version of groundnut soup ie peanut soup. It is super easy and quick to make. All you need is a pot, spoon, measuring utensils and hand-held blender. Of course you need a few food ingredients too: onion, garlic, sweet potato, peanut butter, tomato, okra and spices.
- In pot on medium heat add a couple of tablespoons of water. Add 1 small onion, chopped. Sprinkle some salt on top then cook for a few minutes.
- Add 1 garlic clove, minced. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle in a teaspoon of grapeseed oil and add a half teaspoon each of ginger, curry powder and garam masala and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and coconut milk powder. Stir to combine.
- Add in 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes, cut into cubes. Stir. Add a couple of chopped tomatoes, any type will do, and ¼ cup of chopped red pepper. Add in 1 teaspoon of tomato paste. Stir.
- Pour in 4 cups of water and 1 vegetable stock cube then turn heat to high. Or add 3 cups of water and 1 cup of stock. When the mixture boils, turn heat down to medium-low.
- Cook for 25 minutes. Add ½ cup of chopped okra and cook 10 minutes more. Make sure sweet potato is soft at this point. Turn off heat and let soup cool.
- Purée with hand-held blender and add 1/3 cup of natural organic peanut butter. Stir until soup is smooth. If it’s too thick, add more water.
For or a change:
*Add more vegetables and a little less water to make a stew. Serve over rice or cooked sorghum.
*Use cashew butter instead of peanut butter.
*Replace 1 cup of water with coconut milk OR replace okra with another quick cook vegetable.