What’s the big deal with toast? It seems to be all the rage lately and there’s even a cookbook on it.
Besides toast and jam and avocado toast there is a plethora of combinations possible both simple and refined. Whether sweet or savoury, toast can make a hearty meatless meal; think open-faced sandwich. With enough imagination, a variety of ingredients and money, the options are limitless.
Good bread is key. Choose whole grain, Ezekiel or sourdough for their hearty flavour and nutrients. Depending on the toppings, a thick cut may be best. Toast in oven or toaster (well duh).
Here are some vegetarian and vegan combo suggestions:
- avocado with egg
- tofu scramble and tempeh bacon
- hummus with red pepper
- baked beans on toast (a classic)
- grilled eggplant, zucchini and tomato with halloumi cheese
- any nut/seed butter with dried fruit/jam (e.g. almond butter with dried berries; tahini with dried apricot and dates)
- shredded cabbage and carrot drizzled with a spicy peanut sauce
- mushrooms, mustard and cheese
What are your ideas for fancying up your toast?