Because life is a little sweeter with some sugar in it.
First fruits of the season. This little number is made of raspberries, blueberries, white chocolate, vanilla and coconut milk.
Frozen dessert season has begun and it’s a good way to use up all the excess fruits available during the summer. A blender, ice cream maker and your imagination are key ingredients for creating a myriad of treats.
Tips and tidbits:
- Fruit is naturally sweet, especially when in season. No need to use the full sugar amounts called for in recipes.
- There is no such thing as vegan ice cream. By definition, ice cream is made of cream, eggs and sugar. A vegan facsimile is appropriately named ‘frozen dessert.’
- Sorbets are dairy-free, gelato has less fat than ice cream and frozen yogurt still counts as a treat, not a health food.
- Some citrus always brightens up any fruit based dessert.
- Tahitian vanilla is preferable in frozen dessert to vanilla from Mexico and Madagascar.
Some of my favourite flavour combinations: kiwifruit, lime and soured coconut milk/yogurt; black sesame seed paste/tahini; watermelon and mint sorbet. What are yours?