In light of the feast happening across Canadian dinner tables this weekend (ie Canadian Thanksgiving), here are some tips to help increase the digestibility of food.
- soak nuts before adding to dishes
- sprout legumes before cooking them
Both these practices help increase the bioavailability of nutrients and render these foods easier to digest.
- have an apple cider vinegar cocktail (helps stimulate hydrochloric acid production for digestion) – 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water
- drink lemon water for its cleansing effect on the liver (the quarterback for fat digestion) and its alkaline effect on the body (more alkaline, less inflammation)
- consume probiotics (mainly in fermented foods) to promote healthy gut flora
- spice up your life and your digestion with ginger, cinnamon and cardamom (sounds like a recipe for pumpkin pie!)