It was Robbie Burns day on January 25th but what’s it to me? Besides a Scottish surname and perhaps some Scottish blood amongst the other known and prominent blood in my DNA, my connection to Scotland is through plaid and porridge oats.
An ode to oatmeal, it’s not just for breakfast anymore. Use it in the following ways:
- to toughen up a veggie burger
- sprinkle on top of or mix into breads
- as a base for homemade granola
- mix with some nutritional yeast and crumble on top of mac n’ cheese
- bind a vegetable and pasta bake
- make a vegetarian haggis! cook mushrooms, lentils, oatmeal, spices and gluten flour and wrap in rice paper
Tip: The larger the oat flakes, the better. They are usually less processed and therefore, retain more of their inherent nutrients.