Winter temperatures are back and I made soup. Today’s Meatless Monday is my recipe for alphabet soup.
- Heat on medium 2 teaspoons of a neutral-tasting oil (eg grape seed) in a large pot.
- Chop finely 1 medium onion and 1 large carrot. Cook in the heated oil along with a pinch each of cayenne powder and dried oregano.
- Mince 3 cloves of garlic; set aside.
- To the pot add the 2 cups each of water and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then add 1 jar of pizza/pasta sauce and the minced garlic.
- Turn heat down to medium and cook until carrots are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Turn heat off and let the soup cool. With hand blender, purée the soup.
- Add 1½ cups cooked navy beans, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast and 1 cup of water to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add 1 cup dried alphabet pasta to the pot. Turn heat to medium for 5 minutes. If pasta is still hard, turn heat to low and simmer a few more minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.
This soup is almost stew like and goes well in a thermos for a hearty and warm lunch at work/school.
- Substitute beans with kidney or cannelini.
- Aim to get a whole grain alphabet pasta. I managed to find kamut. Or substitute with other small whole grain pasta.
- No pizza/pasta sauce? Use 1 cup of crushed tomatoes and increase the dried oregano to 1 tablespoon.