Breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day. However, one of the most important food groups, vegetables, is often missing from the plate. A lament for the missing veg.
Why are you forsaken in the most important meal of the day? A limp side at best, a no-show at worst and the look of disgust when mentioned in the same breath.
Some ways to incorporate vegetables into breakfast dishes.
- Eggy dishes such as omelettes, frittatas and scramble.
- Egg-inspired dishes such as tofu scramble and chickpea frittatas.
- Hidden in baked items such as muffins and pancakes (chocolate zucchini, carrot cake, red beet velvet)
- In smoothies
- Savoury surprises in a bowl of oatmeal, on waffles or with beans such as Egyptian ful.
- Hand pies to go, like a breakfast sandwich.
And what vegetables to incorporate:
- greens: spinach, kale, callaloo
- raw bell peppers
- steamed carrots, asparagus
- roasted tomatoes
- cauliflower mash
- broccoli purée