After rave reviews on my Father’s Day strawberry cheesecake, I decided to share the recipe here. It is vegetarian but a straight substitution with a good quality vegan cheese, some agar agar in place of the egg, coconut oil instead of butter and vegan graham crackers should make it sufficiently vegan.
Serves two for a couple servings each but recipe can be doubled to serve a small crowd.
- 1 package (1 cup/200g) cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL yoghurt
- one-third/76g caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ cup/40g graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon each of semolina flour and rolled oats
- 2½ tablespooons/37g melted butter
- 1 tablespoon/14g icing sugar
- pinch of salt
- strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put cream cheese and egg on counter to warm slightly before mixing. Room temperature ingredients makes for a smoother batter.
- Meanwhile prepare the crust by melting the butter then mix it with graham crumbs, icing sugar, salt, semolina and oats. Press into slightly greased pan. A springform pan is ideal.
- In bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar together. When uniform, add egg and vanilla and continue stirring until smooth. Add in cornstarch and stir until blended in.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and place in oven to bake about 30 minutes.
- The centre will be slightly jiggly when done. Let cool to room temperature then place in fridge to cool further a minimum of 4 hours; overnight is best.
- When completely chilled, remove from pan and top with strawberry jam.